As part of constructing a water retention on his property, Marv Penner had two dugouts built at either end of the retention. Through the partnership with SRRWD both dugouts were fenced and solar powered summer water systems were installed. During high water events, dugouts are able to refill with water from the retention.
Penner Dugout Fencing and Alternative Watering System
~15 miles southeast of Steinbach
- Clean reliable source of drinking water available year round
- Locations of dugout provide ability to rotational graze pasture
- The lifespan of the dugout is extended by reducing siltation, bank degradation and nutrient loading.
- 60 cow calf pairs – Black Angus
- Solar powered
- Dugout fed
- Dugouts are filled during high water events by being located in retention